South America is a dynamic continent, full of natural wonders, including jungles, mountainous forests, sprawling beaches and vibrant cities. There is so much going on in South America, it is easy to overlook some of their cherished everyday habits, like drinking a guarana powder energy drink every morning.
Many South Americans, especially Brazilians, prefer guarana powder over ground coffee for their morning caffeine boost. But those who consume guarana powder energy drinks every day are getting a lot more benefit than coffee drinkers do from their morning cup of joe. Guarana powder may be Brazil’s best kept secret.
For one thing, guarana powder has about 4-6 times the caffeine content of coffee. That means that you only need to use about ¼ the amount of guarana powder, compared to ground coffee, for the same shot of caffeine. But the benefits of consuming a guarana powder energy drink every morning doesn’t stop there.
The Nutritional Benefits of Guarana Powder
- ANTIOIDANT RICH – Guarana powder is loaded with antioxidants, including caffeine, theobromine, saponins, tannins, and catechins. Antioxidants are compounds that help to neutralize harmful molecules, known as free radicals. Free radicals can damage the heart and contribute to numerous disease pathologies, like cancer. The antioxidant properties of guarana are similar to green tea, which contains one of nature’s highest concentrations of antioxidants.
- FATIGUE FIGHTER – One study determined that guarana powder helps fight fatigue and improves mental focus.
- BRAIN BOOSTER – Guarana powder may improve mood, learning, and memory. One study compared guarana powder to ginseng powder in cognitive and memory tests. They found that the two herbs were comparable in enhancing cognitive function, but those test subjects who consumed guarana powder had better focus and completed their tasks faster.
- WEIGHT LOSS – Guarana powder may help you lose weight, by significantly increasing your metabolism. Guarana powder may also inhibit fat cell production.
Guarana powder’s many potential health benefits may also include:
- – Aid digestion
- – Support heart health by preventing blood clots and lowering ‘bad’ cholesterol
- – Provide pain relief
- – May improve age-related skin damage
- – Anti-bacterial properties
What is Guarana Powder?
Guarana is a climbing shrub, native to the Amazon rainforest, that can reach a height of thirty-five feet. It produces a bean, about the size of a coffee bean, with orangish/red shells and a black-and-white kernel, somewhat resembling a human eyeball.
Guarana powder is used not only used as a morning energy drink, but is also added to smoothies, soft drinks, pre-workout energy drinks, and prepared foods.
Guarana has one of the highest concentrations of caffeine found in any plant, including coffee bean, and is derived from a Brazilian plant native to the Amazon region. It may contain up to 3.6% to 5.8% caffeine by weight. Coffee only has 1-2%.
Make a Guarana Powder Energy Drink
Guarana has a pleasant, yet somewhat bitter taste, not unlike black coffee. But with a little added sweetener, it has a very pleasant, appealing taste.
So, what are you waiting for? Make yourself a guarana powder energy drink, and find out why guarana powder is one of Brazil’s best kept secrets.