Pesto packed with plant-based protein and healthy greens? Yes please.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Servings: Makes about 1 cup
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- 2 cups chopped kale leaves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt (to taste)
- fresh cracked pepper (to taste)
- Add the hemp seeds and garlic into a food processor, and pulse for 15 seconds.
- Add the kale and pulse again until well chopped.
- Add the lemon juice, and turn on food processor. While it’s running, drizzle in the olive oil. Keep running until the pesto is well blended and smooth. It will have some small pieces, just think of regular pesto.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Store in glass jar in fridge for up to a week.
Choose a mild kale or even baby kale, such as one you’d add to a salad, rather than one of the thicker and more bitter ones. If you eat dairy, you can add parmesan or pecorino cheese to make it a bit richer.